A commercial driver or professional driver drives heavy vehicles of any type of government or private office or organization or factory, transport agency. The safety of life and property on the road depends on the skill of a professional driver.
What kind of organization or industry does a professional driver work in?
Military forces, various government offices-courts-institutions, big schools-colleges-universities, private companies, private companies, factories, transport agencies, courier services.
What kind of work does a professional driver do?
- Driving ensures the safety of life and property
- Maintain speed in keeping with road conditions, comply with traffic laws, speed limits, and braking distances
- Ensuring seat belt barriers for the safety of passengers
- All vehicle documents such as Logbook, Blue Book, Tax Token, Insurance, Route Permit properly renewed and stored in the vehicle
- Keep the car clean at all times
- Make sure you have enough fuel for each trip
- Reduce costs as much as possible by monitoring vehicle fuel consumption
- Ensure that the vehicle is taken care of in accordance with the prescribed procedure and report any problem to the manager
- Before driving, check that all the items are in accordance with the checklist
- Always record vehicle movement information in the organization’s logbook
- Adherence to relevant rules in case of an accident
- Ambulance, fire service, and other emergency service operators must reach their destination safely, quickly, and in the shortest possible time.
What are the educational qualifications of a professional driver?
If you want to work as a driver in most government and non-government organizations, you have to pass at least eighth grade. If you want to work in many foreign or multinational companies, you need to have communication skills in English. For example, if you want to work as a driver in the International Committee of the Red Cross, you must have the ability to communicate in English in addition to passing the secondary examination.
- What skills and knowledge do a professional driver need to have?
- Must be proficient in driving on any type of road
- Be aware of traffic laws and various signals
- Must have an idea about car parts
- The car must have the ability to solve minor mechanical problems
- Have an idea about the roads in and around the workplace
- In any case, you have to drive to make a quick decision in a cold head
- Must have the habit of driving for a long time
Where do you want to train to be a driver?
Most professional drivers in Bangladesh gain driving experience by working as an assistant to another professional driver. There are only 8 driving schools approved by the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) in the country. Apart from this, about 500 illegal driving schools have been set up in Dhaka city. These schools are trained by unskilled instructors. Therefore, care should be taken in getting admission to driving school. Besides, there are opportunities to learn driving in 16 BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation) training institutes across the country under a government initiative.
How to get a license?
In order to get a driving license, one must first apply to the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) for a learner or apprentice driving license with the required documents. After passing the written, oral and field tests, the apprentice license is obtained. Apply for an amateur license while the apprentice license is valid.
Candidates must be at least 20 years of age for a professional light (motor vehicle weight below 2500 kg) license. Candidates must be at least 23 years of age for a professional medium (motor vehicle weight 2500 to 6500 kg) driving license. Candidates must be at least 28 years of age for a professional heavy (motor vehicle weight over 6500 kg) driving license.
In addition to obtaining a professional heavy driving license, the candidate must first obtain a light driving license. After a minimum of three years, he will be able to apply for a professional medium driving license. You have to apply for a heavy driving license at least three years after getting a medium driving license.
To apply for a license, you must pass a minimum of eighth grade or equivalent. If you have epilepsy, heart disease, night blindness, deafness, color blindness, physical disability/shortness of breath, menstrual problems, etc., you will be considered ineligible for a driving license.
What can be the career of a professional driver?
As a driver, it is not possible to be promoted to any other position in any organization unless you have other technical or educational qualifications. However, as a driver, job opportunities are available in any type of organization, military, government, private, commercial, international, or multinational. It is possible to get permission to drive medium and heavy vehicles gradually by starting light vehicles first. It is possible to get job opportunities as a driver in important government jobs. With the increase in salary in this profession on the basis of skills and experience, there is also job stability.