As an agricultural country, there are many agricultural jobs in Bangladesh. In that case, it is very easy and convenient for people who have a degree in Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Medicine, or Horticulture to get a degree from an agricultural university. After studying for a degree in horticulture, horticulture students can take jobs in organizations that work with plants and plant products in addition to agricultural food manufacturing companies.
An Agriculture Officer (Horticulture) at a Glance
- General Designation: Agriculture Officer (Horticulture)
- Category: Information Technology
- Type of organization: Government, private firm/company
- Career type: Full time
- Level: Entry, Mid
- Experience limit: 0 – 2 years
- Possible Salary Range at Entry Level: ৳ 25,000 – ৳ 40,000
- Possible age limit at the entry-level: 28-30 years
- Key Skills: Agricultural concepts, knowledge of horticulture
- Special Skills: Agricultural Management, Communication Skills
Where does an agriculture officer (horticulture) work?
If you want to be a Horticulture Officer, you can work in the following organizations –
- Food manufacturing companies. In this case, the organizations that work with poultry, cattle as well as gardens or plants are significant. Such as – Paragon Group;
- Greenhouse firm;
- Agro Commodity Products Manufacturer. Such as – Giant Group;
- Plant products manufacturers;
- Organizations working in agriculture;
- Institutions that work with plants or gardens, including various nurseries.
- In this case, it should be noted that anyone with a degree in agriculture in the BCS agricultural cadre can be recruited by passing the examination. However, the type of work of government and non-government organizations is completely different. In the case of government institutions, horticulture is not given priority in all cases.
What kind of work does an agricultural officer (horticulture) do?
If you have a degree in horticulture, your type of work will depend on your organization and your position. In this case, the type of work can be as follows –
If you are applying to an agro commodity company as a procurement or purchase officer, you need to make sure that the products are ready as per the demand. It is also necessary to coordinate regular contact with the farmer or producer or supplier of the product. In addition to this, you have the responsibility to ensure that the quality of the product is right;
If you join a food manufacturing company as an Agriculture Officer (Horticulture) then you have to take care of all the farms and nurseries of the company. It will be your responsibility to cultivate vegetables sold including red pepper, asparagus, or asparagus, capsicum. You need to cultivate different types of flowers and fruits like dragon fruit, rambutan, avocado, etc. In addition to preparing products for sale through farming, you need to create a business plan for your organization to produce horticultural agricultural products. You will also be responsible for overseeing the sale and commercialization of products manufactured under you;
If you work for a greenhouse firm as a greenhouse supervisor, you will have several employees under you who will produce a variety of vegetables and fruits. In this case, your job is to see and monitor whether their work is going well. At the same time, you need to ensure that the work of the staff is well coordinated;
When working in a nursery, one usually has to use the knowledge of horticulture, including flowers and fruits, to prepare the best-selling plant products in the nursery.
What are the qualifications of an Agriculture Officer (Horticulture)?
- Greenhouse supervisors usually have a diploma degree in agriculture or horticulture. However, if you have a bachelor’s degree in horticulture, you will be given priority. In this case, at least 2 years of experience may be mandatory. The age range is usually between 25 and 45 years. In some cases, qualifications depend on the job and the organization.
- In the case of Agriculture Officer (Horticulture), a Master’s degree in Horticulture is compulsory. In many cases, bachelor’s degree holders are also taken, but examples are rare. In this case, 2 to 5 years of experience is usually required and the age limit should be between 30 to 40 years. To work as an Agriculture Officer (Horticulture) it is important to have good results in Bachelor and Masters and General Degree in Agriculture is not applicable to this job. Recruitment may be specified only for those who have studied horticulture. However, the matter is subject to work and organization.
- If you want to work as a general procurement or purchase officer, you can go even if you don’t have a separate degree in horticulture. Applicants can apply for this position only if they have a Bachelor or Diploma in Agriculture. In this case, 1 to 3 years of experience is required and there is usually no age limit. However, the issue of eligibility is also institutionalized in the case of this appointment.
What kind of skills and knowledge does an agricultural officer (horticulture) need to have?
Must have a thorough knowledge of plants and gardens; For the type of organization you are working in, the required products must be delivered on time; The work of a greenhouse firm can be quite difficult for people who have not studied horticulture. In this case, if you have a good idea about vegetables or plant products, it will bring you benefits; It is necessary to know the identity of flowers, fruits, and plants. What is the monthly income of an agriculture officer (horticulture)? Work and organization dependent. What can the career of an agriculture officer (horticulture) look like? In this case, the matter is dependent on work and organization. Agriculture Officer (Horticulture) can be promoted to Senior Agriculture Officer (Horticulture) and later to the General Manager (Agriculture). The Greenhouse Supervisor can then be promoted to the position of Senior Supervisor to the rank of Top Greenhouse Manager.